Formal letter

Subject: Self-Introduction letter

Dear Prof Blackstone

My name is Carely Ang Wee Wee, I graduated from Republic Polytechnic in the Diploma of Green Building Energy Management. I gained an interest in the built environment sector while studying my Diploma in Republic Polytechnic. I decided to further my studies in the Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) programme offered by Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I am fascinated by the sustainable infrastructure in Singapore like Marina Barrage, Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay. I am intrigued by the different ideas that people have thought of, implemented and the recommendations given to contribute to conserving the environment. For ways to be sustainable in my daily life, I can reuse a tote bag instead of using a plastic bag, using a metal straw instead of a plastic straw and reducing plastic wastage and making sure that I finish my food so as to not waste food.

My strength in communication is active listening, receiving constructive feedback from my peers or professor so that I can grow and improve in my own areas and vice versa. I am not confident in my public speaking skills and hope that I would have the opportunity to practice on my presentation skills and be more confident in it.

The goals I have for this effective communication module is to improve on my communication skills, public speaking skills and letter writing. I hope that through this effective communication module, I would gain more confidence in speaking loudly, improving my grammar and language use when writing letters and to have more discussions with my blog mates when evaluating sample letters together.

I am outgoing, adventurous and I like to try new things I have never done before. Even though it may be out of my comfort zone or challenging, I am open to learn new things and try them. I feel that being willing and having a good attitude towards learning is valuable and important. I look forward to learning more about effective communication module in the next few classes.

Best regards,

Carely Ang


Read: Eryn's , Zann's , Bernice's , Angelo's

Comments

  1. Dear Carely,

    Thank you for the many details you provide in this letter. We cerrtainly learn something about you, especially in terms of your character, though in some ways I feel you've only scratched the surface in explaining why studying in an engineering programme that focuses on sustainable infrastructure appeals to you. While you mention what intrigues you, I'd like to know what sort of difference you think you can make once you're an engineer with this specialization.

    In terms of language use, this is a fairly good essay, thiough there are a few areas that can be improved:

    1. lack of parallel structure
    - I would gain more confidence in (a) speaking loudly, (b) improving my grammar and language use when writing letters and (c) to have more discussions with my blog mates when evaluating sample letters together. > (Is item c parallel?)

    - ...I can (a) reuse a tote bag instead of using a plastic bag, (b) using a metal straw instead of a plastic straw and (c) reducing plastic wastage and making sure that I finish my food so as to not waste food. >

    - I am outgoing, adventurous and I like to try new things I have never done before. >

    - My strength in communication is active listening, receiving constructive feedback from my peers or professor so that I can grow and improve in my own areas and vice versa. >

    2. There are also some problems with the use of caps.

    Please don't let this critique eclipse my appreciation of your sharing in this letter.

    I look forward to learning more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I'll edit my formal letter to improve it.

      Delete
  2. Dear Carely

    Your letter fulfils the stated objectives of the letter.

    I found your sentences to be clear and upfront, with the information you shared being clearly presented.

    However, I would have to agree with Prof Brad that you could consider trying to tie your sustainable lifestyle choices with sustainable engineering.

    That being said, it was a good read

    Yours sincerely
    Angelo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Explanation on Quote

Critical Reflection